Monday, September 20, 2010

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Yesterday, I picked up a book at LAX and was actually able to read a lot of it on the plane thanks to Bella's exhaustion from our 2 day trip to SoCal! Maybe you've heard of it...Animal Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.

It's a bestseller and in the same vein as In Defense of Food and The Omnivore's Dilemma. My husband has read the latter of the two, but I wasn't really interested. I picked up Kingsolver's book because it was not only about being healthy and eating naturally, but it's also the story of how her family of four picked up and actually DID IT (I'm a sucker for Memoirs). They moved from Tucson to a family farm in Virginia and actually made living off the land a family value. They raised chickens, planted and harvested seasonally, bought only local goods, and stuck it to the proverbial man.

I love Kingsolver's storytelling style. She's engaging while being incredibly informative and passionate. I was appalled at some of the facts I had to digest, not the least of which is the involvement of certain companies in producing, trademarking and regulating seed for the food we eat.

This book is becoming a call to action for me, much like The Omnivore's Dilemma was for Christopher. I am being challenged to only shop local and to do everything in my power to provide the most natural and seasonally appropriate food I can for my family.

If you're interested in learning more about this book or getting involved in the movement to reclaim our food, check out Barbara Kingsolver or Slow Food USA. And, of course, I'm happy to continue the conversation publicly or privately (LeanneLytle@gmail.com).

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Lyndsay said...

So glad we found each other in blog land! I must get this book! Bart will probably hate you for it though. ;) Do you guys eat real greek yogurt? Its my new health kick. They sell Fage at Costco and it is Super good for you. I throw it in the blender with a banana flax seed and a few frozen strawberries for breakfast. Yummy!

Leanne said...

I LOVE Fage, but can't afford it on a normal day. :o) I'll have to see if Sam's has it here. Otherwise, most places here charge a lot for it! Surprisingly, Whole Foods has been the cheapest. My new health kick has been Shakeology. :o) And grapes. I love grapes. They're like magic.