Monday, September 1, 2008

Waiting

My friends from New Orleans are scattered over much of the Southern United States. My mom is among them (she flew down to meet the Kenya team on Friday, and evacuated to Paragould, Arkansas Saturday morning). I just checked on Gustav and he's still a Cat 3 with a possibility of strengthening. I'm tempted to stay up for another couple hours until the next advisory pops up, but I know I need to sleep.

Waiting for a hurricane is the most bizarre experience ever. You never know what's actually happened until after the storm, so until then, all you can do is pray. Or, like some people I know, have parties so everything in the freezer gets eaten before they leave town and their fridge stops running. Truth be told, although I'm nervous for my friends down South, I'm a little jealous that I'm missing the party.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had better news about the Hurricane. I'm about to go to sleep. I suppose when I wake up there will be lots more info. How crazy is it that Gustav is almost 3 years exactly after Katrina? You know what? Evacuating with all of you guys was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I miss you guys!