Monday, March 17, 2008

Help Leanne get to Kenya!

Many of you know that for the last year, Africa (specifically the population affected by AIDS) has been deeply embedded in my heart. Little did I know that God had such an immediate plan for that aching. My friend, Angela Musilu-Murray, has founded an organization called Angel's Center of Hope. The purpose of this organization is to assist areas in Kenya and eventually India with the development of water wells, AIDS education, medical care, food and housing for orphans, etc..

Although there has been some recent civil unrest in Kenya, Angela has gotten word from home (she is from Kenya) that planning a trip for this summer would be perfectly safe; therefore, God-willing, I will be joining her for 2 weeks during the month of June in the village of Kilaatu (and surrounding areas). There will also be at least 4 other people going along with us to lay the groundwork (literally) for a kitchen/church/school facility, provide AIDS & Abstinence education to schools in the village of Kilaatu and surrounding areas, and to love on the many orphans living in a very harsh reality.

We need your help to do all of this. Right now, the cost of airfare alone is looking to be approximately $1800/person (and it could still go up). Someone has already committed $500 toward my trip, but our goal is to get (at least) 5 people over there on this trip. We are estimating total cost for each person to be between $2500-$3000. Any money above and beyond the cost of the trip will be put into the Angel's Center fund for future work (building wells, providing food and clothing, continuing AIDS education in other villages, etc.).

I am trusting that God has a plan for me (and the other people involved) in this endeavor that goes beyond a simple 2 week trip and I hope that all of you will take this challenge to partner with us in this opportunity to reach yet another area of the world that is broken, hurting and (literally) dying.

If you would like to give to this cause, you can make out any checks or money orders to Angel's Center of Hope with "Leanne/June trip" in the memo line. You can give or send donations directly to me (8356 5th Street #107, Downey, CA 90241) so that I can keep track of supporters for update purposes, and I will forward them on to Angel's Center.

Please email and repost this request as you feel compelled. Please take note that some of you (but probably not all) may get a physical letter from me as well. If you've already given, don't feel pressured to give again! I can't begin to tell you how humbled I am that God is giving me this opportunity to be a part of something that will be so life-changing for the people we will reach (especially the children). I can't wait to share the outcome with all of you!

Just a side note for those of you wondering about Christopher. Although he wants to, he is not able to go to Kenya this summer because he already has numerous trips he is leading through Revolution (New Orleans, The Balkins, a foster-kids camp). This is something we want to do together, so hopefully the next time I ask for support, it will be for both of us!

Thank you in advance for your partnership!

No comments: