Friday, July 18, 2008

The start of something wonderful

Wednesday night was Revolution's first equipping night of this summer. It was awesome! I would guess there were about 50 or 60 (?) people there. Christopher shared his heart about who God is and how we need to be responding to Him in accordance with that instead of in accordance with who WE are or what WE need. He had us do an exercise where we had the word "GOD" on a blank sheet of paper and we wrote down all things we were thankful for or that we thought of in association with Him. I don't know how it was for everyone else, but this was a time of reverence for me. My heart was really opened to seeing things that I should be thankful for and be able to enjoy.

Rick Mysse then finished up the evening. I don't know about you all, but I have a really hard time listening to Rick sometimes and I just discovered why on Wednesday. He says so many important things in succession (sometimes without transition or connected thoughts) that my brain can't keep up. I counted at least 2 or 3 times where my head got stuck on something he said because it made me think in a way I never had before about a concept that *should be* old hat for a "good" Christian. The most important thing I think I got has to do with humility. I have spent so much time in my life praying that God would "humble me". I never got that He waits for ME to humble myself! He can't FORCE humility. He can strip our pride. But he can't force our hearts to soften.

Wow.

And after all that, we simply prayed. It was so beautiful to see Revolution praying. We were in groups of 3-6 praying together for personal and corporate vision, for church unity and for love. And the greatest thing was at the end of the prayer time, when we were dismissed, almost no one moved. Our group prayed a little bit longer and then I looked up to see other groups still sitting and talking with one another.

It's the beginning, Revolution. It's the beginning of a new era. It's the beginning of an exciting time. Why? Because God is stripping us down to nothing and all we can do is pray. All we can do is ask God to do something. Anything. To use us. Somehow. To show us who He is...not what he (or we) can do.

And when THAT becomes our prayer, individually and corporately, God can finally do something.

Praise God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lela,
I was just checking in to see how you are doing. You posted a comment on my blog back in April and was wondering if you had been able to get back on my site. It sounds like God is doing some wonderful things in your ministry.
Cheryl